This beautiful coastal constituency of North Down is on the Ards Peninsula bordering the southern shores of Belfast Lough, on the east of Northern Ireland. The county constituency was first created in 1885 from the northern part of Down.

Originally, the seat consisted of most of the northern parts of County Down, with the south included in South Down. In January 1980, the Boundary Commission's original proposals suggested significantly reducing the size of the constituency and renaming it 'Loughside' on the grounds that this would avoid confusion in the event of borough council elections being held on the same day.

As a result, in 1983 the seat was radically reduced as part of an expansion of Northern Ireland's constituencies from 12 to 17, although the name remained unaltered. Significant parts of the constituency were transferred to the new Strangford constituency. In boundary changes proposed by a review in 1995, the seat exchanged territory with Strangford, losing the Dundonald area from Castlereagh but gaining a part of Ards.

The seat now contains the entirety of the North Down Borough Council area as well as Donaghadee and Millisle within Ards Borough Council's bailiwick.






  • 1918 - February 1922: Thomas Watters Brown, Ulster Unionist
  • February - July 1922: Henry Hughes Wilson, Ulster Unionist
  • July - November 1922: John Morrow Simms, Ulster Unionist

    Constituency abolished (1922)

    Constituency re-created (1950)


  • 1950 - 1953: Sir Walter Smiles, Ulster Unionist
  • 1953 - 1955: Patricia Ford (nee Smiles), Ulster Unionist
  • 1955 - 1970: George Currie, Ulster Unionist
  • 1970 - 1995: James Kilfedder, Ulster Unionist until 1977, then Independent Unionist until 1980, then Ulster Popular Unionist
  • 1995 - 2001: Robert McCartney, UK Unionist
  • 2001 - present: Lady Hermon